Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A letter to Roberta Sklar on 04.04.07-- via e-mail:

Roberta,

Thank you for the invitation notice, and your previous e-mail (which I had lost -- ergo, no reply!). I do recall that Robert Patrick had sent you a copy of the Conrad Ward photograph from "The Good Woman of Setzuan" at Hunter College back heaven knows when -- those were the days!


I am listing my three sites below in the event you wonder what I've been up to and am up to now. I am particularly happy with the site "The New York Times Crossword in Gothic" (it's a blog)! When one is homebound as much as I am these days (not my health, but my current obligations) the internet is an electronic escape -- imagine in olden days, one looked at the wall! No, that's not true -- as a child, I remember being snowed in for weeks in the winter months in South Dakota and there was always something to keep one's attention -- card games, jigsaw puzzles, drawing, reading -- that's right, no television! As a matter of fact, we had a radio that stood on the floor and had a big green eye! We would listen to the programs in the dark -- "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!" -- and many others. So a dozen souls in the dark in the middle of winter warmed by a log-fed stove never suspecting that one day old twitching fingers would be furtively hammering while gazing at an elaborate light bulb with constantly moving images that respond to one's fleshy digits!

Donald L. Brooks -- Off-Off Broadway and Beyond --
http://donaldlbrooks.com/
The New York Times Crossword in Gothic -- http://donaldsweblog.blogspot.com/
Donald's Web Log -- http://donaldlbrooks.blogspot.com/

Donald

No comments: